Why should I study in china?

 Logo

https://www.istudy-china.com/


 

 

 I think I’m pretty qualified to answer this one, because that’s what I did. I went to Beijing in 2008 to do a 4 year bachelor’s degree in “Chinese Language and Culture.” Or “Chinese business.” Or… Just “Chinese.” Depends who you ask.

I have a few reasons that you SHOULDN’T do it, and a few reasons that you SHOULD. Whether or not you DO depends alot on your goals.

Here goes:

DON’T GET YOUR DEGREE IN CHINA

Reason 1: The quality of education is a toss-up.

My university initially told me that I’d do 2 years of intensive language studies, then I’d pick a major, and I’d spend my latter two years studying with the Chinese students. How immersive!

Yeah except that’s not what happened. I never got the opportunity to select a major, I just had 4 years of language study. We never had any classes with Chinese students, and we were actually discouraged from interacting with them for reasons unclear.

Reason 2: It might not work outside of China.

When I relocated back to my home country (many years after I’d graduated), I had a great deal of trouble demonstrating that I had, in fact, earned a degree. The company I worked for was denied a government subsidy because it required a bachelor’s degree, and mine didn’t count.

A friend of mine (who graduated with the same degree) wanted to return to her country to earn a teaching certificate at a community college. The college told her that she wasn’t eligible for the course because her degree didn’t come from a recognized school. Eventually she talked them into it, but she had to pass an English proficiency test and take a handful of prerequisite courses over the summer.

So don’t be surprised if folks back home shake their head and say “No no, kiddo— You need a REAL degree for this ride.”

Reason 3: It might not work INSIDE China.

This one REALLY shocked me. I was denied a work visa before because I needed to supply a credible university certificate and my legitimate degree that I had earned IN CHINA was considered invalid.

I eventually got the visa using a loophole in the American system to get a cheesy online “bachelors” degree, which was happily accepted, but my Chinese degree did not work to get me a visa for China. Facepalm.

Okay, now onto the pros…

GET YOUR DEGREE IN CHINA

Reason 1: It’s the best way to get really really good at Chinese

Depending on what your first language is, Chinese may very well be the hardest language in the world for you to learn. The only way to REALLY get the hang of the tones and the fluid grammar structure is to be immersed in it.

Reason 2: It will open your mind

So many people live their whole lives without knowing much about the rest of the world. Doing your degree in China is a fantastic way to not only learn about China and Chinese culture, but also learn about people from every corner of the globe in a buffet-style all you can eat university situation. Whether you decide to stay in China long-term or leave right after you graduate, your perspective will be radically shifted, making the world seem simultaneously enormous and tiny.

Reason 3: You’ll have interesting opportunities

I’ve been a professional, full-time DJ. I’ve acted in films. I’ve managed a bar. I wound up managing a fancy gym by accident when I was applying to manage a bar.

My friends have done even more amazing things: Been flown on impromptu hunting trips with an eccentric millionaire, started a successful craft brewery in a city that has never heard of craft beer, worked as a weatherman.

Living in China opens up a crazy world of unexpected opportunities that really lets you see alot of things up close that you might not have had access to in your own country. Those perspectives sculpt your life choices and your career path, I like to think for the better.


CONCLUSION

If you want to build a career that is dependent on your educational credentials, I can’t recommend doing your degree in China. In my experience, nobody takes a degree from China THAT seriously… Even China! (You might have a better chance with a degree from Tsinghua, so maybe you want to look into that)

If your career is not super dependent on your degree, then I think doing it in China is a great idea. Scholarships are abundant, Chinese is a great language to learn, and your world view will explode to enormous proportions that will shape your life.

If you’re not rolling in cash, China is the land of “money on the side:” I know lots of people who support their learning habit with money generated from things like teaching English, bartending, or acting in TV commercials, and may even make a career out of it after their degree is finished.

So be your own judge. If you have any questions, feel free to answer me in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Lennon

'I'll take a teddy for my d...' said Kate. Is that D for daughter, they asked: Duchess nearly slips as she tours Grimsby