John Lennon Quotes About Music

"Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it."
John Lennon's Aunt Mimi Smith
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
“I am like a chameleon, influenced by whatever’s going on. If Elvis can do it, I can do it. If the Everly Brothers can do it, me and Paul can. Same with Dylan.”
"Before Cliff (Richard) and The Shadows, there had been nothing worth listening to in British music."
"Song writing is about getting the demon out of me. It's like being possessed. You try to go to sleep, but the song won't let you. So you have to get up and make it into something, and then you're allowed to sleep."
"For a long time I wasn't listening to music, to the rock and roll stuff on the radio, because it would cause me to get sweaty. It would bring back memories I didn't want to know about, or I would get that feeling that I'm not alive 'cause I'm not making it. And if it was good, I hated it 'cause I wasn't doing it. And if it was bad, I was furious 'cause I could've done it better..."
“I love commercial music! I can dissect it and criticize it with any critic in the business. But without any thought, I just enjoy it. It’s folk music. That’s what I’m doing, folk music. I’m not intellectualizing it . . . and making it into a phoney art form. I’m just doing the music I enjoy.”
"When real music comes to me - the music of the spheres, the music that surpasses understanding - that has nothing to do with me, cause I'm just the channel. The only joy for me is for it to be given to me, and to transcribe it like a medium... those moments are what I live for."
Question: "What do you think of the Rolling Stones today?"
John: "I think it's a lot of hype. I like 'Honky Tonk Women,' but I think Mick's a joke with all that fag dancing; I always did. I enjoy it; I'll probably go and see his films and all like everybody else, but really, I think it's a joke."
"In Paris in 1964 was the first time I ever heard Dylan at all. Paul got the record (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan) from a French DJ. For three weeks in Paris we didn't stop playing it. We all went potty about Dylan."
“I started being me about the songs, not writing objectively, but subjectively. I think it was Dylan who helped me realize that — not by any discussion or anything, but by hearing his work.”
"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."
"I think it's the best thing I've ever done. I think it's realistic, and it's true to the me that has been developing over the years. I like first-person music."
referring to his 'Plastic Ono Band' album




"Everything I've ever done is out. I don't have boxes of unreleased stuff. There's nothing in the files. I can never keep anything unless I don't like the sound of it or it didn't work. If I can sing it to an engineer, I can sing it to anyone..."
Question: "What are your personal tastes?"
John Lennon:"Sounds like ``Wop Bop A Loo Bop.'' I like rock & roll; I don't like much else."

Question: "Why rock & roll?"
: "That's the music that inspired me to play music. There is nothing conceptually better than rock & roll. No group, be it Beatles, Dylan or Stones, have ever improved on ``Whole Lot of Shaking,'' for my money. Or maybe I'm like our parents: That's my period, and I dig it, and I'll never leave it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Lennon

Why should I study in china?

'I'll take a teddy for my d...' said Kate. Is that D for daughter, they asked: Duchess nearly slips as she tours Grimsby