Yoko Ono: Amaze - 1971




by Yoko Ono

Yoko Ono is asked to pose in her maze titled AMAZE. Dutifully she walks into the centre of it and tries to return by using the same route. Suddenly she gets lost. The group of reporters standing outside tries to guide her back: "Go to the left, go there." "Yes, this resembles life", she laughs as she manages to return. "In life you think you can do whatever you please, because the obstacles are invisible. Eventually you always stumble into something and realise that the direction was forbidden or not possible...""I also have moments when I feel insecure or broken. As a woman I don't feel insecure, just as a human being in general. I feel strong as a woman, because women have always suffered from oppression and abuse. And when someone tries to do something like that to you, don't you become stronger than you were a moment ago?"Yoko Ono interview to Anna magazine, Helsinki, May 1999

Yoko Ono A Maze, 1971 Installation View, Yoko Ono: This Is Not Here. Everson Museum, Syracuse, NY, 1971. Photo by Iain Macmillan, Copyright Yoko Ono

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Lennon

Why should I study in china?

'I'll take a teddy for my d...' said Kate. Is that D for daughter, they asked: Duchess nearly slips as she tours Grimsby